This item is a tall hat with a wide, round brim. The crown of the hat is narrow near the brim and flares out wider as it goes towards the flat top. A band circles around the narrow base and four round buttons stick out around the top edge of the hat. This item has eight original colors and four rare variants for a total of twelve color varieties.
- During Beta Testing, there were additional colors available that were removed from stores such as the green color and the gray color variants.
- This item has three Rare Item Monday versions.
- The Rare Jamaaliday Top Hat is a Jamaalidays variant that was released on December 9, 2013 for Rare Item Monday.
- The Rare Spooky Top Hat is a Night of the Phantoms version of the Top Hat that was released for Rare Item Monday on October 27, 2014.
- The Rare Custom Top Hat is completely magenta and was released for Rare Item Monday on September 5, 2016. It is the first Rare Item Monday Top Hat to not be released as a part of some event, and it is also the first Rare Item Monday to be released in the Diamond Shop.
- The Rare Top Hat is not actually a Rare Item Monday release; it was first released on February 27, 2012 at the Leap Year Party and was re-released on January 26, 2013 for Hatapalooza.
- There are other versions of the Top Hat that have different names and were released for different reasons.
- The Founders' Hat is a version of the Top Hat that was released in 2010 right after Beta Testing ended to celebrate Animal Jam's official release.
- The Freedom Hat is a non-member, freedom-themed counterpart to the Top Hat that was released sometime before 2012.
- The Rare Friendship Hat is a Friendship Festival version of the Top Hat that was released in 2015 as a prize in the Special Delivery adventure.
- Many other items have a similar style to the Top Hat such as the Gingerbread Top Hat and the Rainbow Top Hat.
- This item can be bought in Play Wild (Game) and AJ Jump.
- This item can also be obtained in The Forgotten Desert.
- The Top Hat has not been in stores since 2013.
- A color variant in Play Wild looks similar to the Founder's Hat.