The Forgotten Desert was released on May 15th, 2014, and is the ninth adventure available in the Adventure Base Camp. It is the first adventure featuring flying animals. If a non-member flying animal were released it would not be able to play, due to it being a members-only adventure.
- At the start of the adventure, the player is greeted by Liza. Standing on a pillar atop a lake, she explains that the Phantoms destroyed five crystals that once protected the land, causing it to turn into a desert. However, the Phantoms that now inhabit the desert are changing guards and this gives the player a limited time to explore.
- The goal of this adventure is to find all of the missing shards to reform each of the crystals that the Phantoms have destroyed. Each crystal's shards are hidden in different locations and they each must be obtained in different ways. The player must complete this task before the timer runs out and the Phantoms return. The time limit is seventeen minutes for one or two players, and fifteen minutes for three or four players.
- Once the time is up, all shards and watering cans are removed from the adventure. If the player could not complete any of the crystals, Liza will place a treasure chest containing 500 Gems near the portal.
- If the player returns to Liza, she will inform them that the Phantoms are taking longer than expected to return to the desert. The player can use this time to search for any of the five treasure chests scattered around the map.
Once the player has reformed one of the crystals by collecting its shards, they can open a chest. Each chest has a different item, and all players in the adventure receive the same prize. Prizes include:
- Unreleased Items (Items that have not been officially released in stores)
- Clothing and Den Items from Epic Wonders
- Items released for Rare Item Monday
- Clothing from Jam Mart Clothing
- Den Items from Jam Mart Furniture
- Den Items from the Journey Book
- Beta Items (Items that were originally released during Beta Testing)
- Monthly Member Gifts
In addition to the rewards for completing the crystals, there are five randomly placed treasure chests found on the ground in the desert. These chests typically contain Gems, but occasionally they will contain a clothing item.
- This is the first adventure without Phantoms, however, they are mentioned by the adventure's guide, Liza.
- This is the first timed adventure.
- There are 2 versions of this adventure; the gem and treasure chest locations are different for each version.
- There are a total of 30 green shards available. Once 25 green shards are found, the remaining 5 green shards will vanish.
- There are a total of 30 yellow shards available. Once 25 yellow shards are found, the remaining 5 yellow shards will vanish.
- Many of the decorations that are placed throughout the map are a part of the Excavation Site Collection.
- Some of the items that decorate the map were formerly sold in the Coral Corner shop and are now sold in Jam Mart Furniture.
- This adventure shares some sound effects with the official mobile game AJ Jump, such as those played when picking up certain Gems/Shards.
- There is a rumor to where if the player doesn't open the chests laying on the ground, they get prizes of more value. This has not proven to be in any way true.
- A lot of Jammers thought that there were special patterns or methods to get better/valued items (such as collecting all gems except for purple and the very last white shard, then having each player on the last white cactus). However, there is no proof or evidence that these/this is true.
- Liza says "The RARER the shards you find, the rarer the PRIZE you'll earn!" This suggests that purple shards should give the best prizes since they are the most difficult to obtain, but there has been no evidence to show that purple shard prizes are better than the prizes from the other shards.
- This is the first 3D adventure without hard mode.
- The Rare Item Monday Headdress was formerly a prize in this adventure, but AJHQ has stated that this item is now "discontinued."
- There was a glitch, which is now fixed, that caused one of the green shards to become invisible.
- There was a glitch, which is now patched, that allowed non-flying animals to do the adventure from the Diamond Shop. The player would've needed to change into a flying animal, host The Forgotten Desert, and then buy a non-flying animal by clicking on the arctic wolf statue. The player would then be a non-flying animal hosting The Forgotten Desert.
- There is a glitch with this adventure that causes the timer to freeze at exactly 15 minutes.
- There is a common glitch where the timer does not come up on the screen. However, the timer will often continue to run in the background and cause the adventure to end after it has run out of time.
- There is a glitch where the player can't talk to Liza, pick up shards, or open gem chests while joining the adventure. This glitch can happen at any time when the player joins. They also can't leave the adventure, they must refresh, log out, or close the page to exit it.
- There is an uncommon glitch that happens when the player leaves the adventure. They will be teleported to a random Jammer's den. When the den is locked, the player will have to refresh.
- There is a glitch in that when a player goes to another's den, the "Join Me" adventure symbol will appear as the chat bubble. This glitch is not patched.
- There is a glitch where if the player attempts to use an ocean animal, the adventure would contain objects that did not pertain to the adventure.
- There is a glitch where the crystals on the side will appear as '0 / 0'
- There is a glitch that can cause a blue shard to appear invisible, although the paw pickup icon still appears if the player flies right by it.
- There is a glitch where if the player tries to collect a blue shard immediately after restoring an oasis (during the animation) the shard will not be collected and instead it will become hidden behind the water layer along with the paw icon to collect it, making it impossible to actually collect.
- There was a glitch where if the player hosts the Forgotten Desert, then clicks Tiki Trouble in the Party list, the player can now click the "Change Animal" button to change into a non-flying animal.
- There is a glitch where the host's screen glitches and can no longer see the play button