The Phantom Kings are a group of antagonists in the world of Jamaa. Like most Phantoms, they don't have a gender and their only goal is to cause chaos and destruction. Their origin is unknown, but it is hinted in The Search For Greely that all the Phantom Kings meet at the Phantom Fortress.
A Phantom King is a very large, black phantom with purple splotches around its body. The top of its head is cracked open, making it look like a crown. Unlike the smaller phantoms, a Phantom King only has two tentacles.
In The Phantom Portal adventure, one of them tries to get through the Phantom Portal and the player sees their arms waving through the portal. The player first sees an entire one and has to fight it in The Hive, and they fight another one in Greely's Inferno. In The Search For Greely, two of them of appear, trying to prevent the player from freeing the trapped Greely.
When the player has to defeat a Phantom King in an adventure, the player must act as bait. Once the player gets close enough to a Phantom King, it will rise up and then slam on the ground, causing damage to the player if they are caught under it. When it slams down, a Phantom King becomes dazed for a few seconds, and the player must use Boomseeds to damage it. Every other time it is attacked, a Phantom King will spawn a number of regular Phantoms all around it equal to the number of times it has been attacked in a series of two, four, six, and finally eight. A Phantom King can be defeated after hitting it ten times with Boomseeds.
In the Phantom's Secret novel, he is describe to be loud, obnoxious, coward and cunning as he uses Mt. Magma to destroy Jamaa relating to Greely's Inferno adventure. He can normally talk just like the small phantoms however he is considered to be over-watcher in large groups of Phantoms as he does rounds.
|“||Every village they built will be destroyed. Their civilization will be in ruins. And any animal who isn't burned by the lava will suffocate in the rain of ash that will befall on this land. Soon the animals will be nothing more than a footnote in the history of Jamaa. A mere fable, a sad story. Mt. Magma will be the end of every animal species. Which means one thing. Finally, Jamaa will be back with its rightful ruler. Me!||„|
|~ Chapter 7, The Phantom's Secret|
- Phantom Kings presumably have 1000 health points because Boomseeds cause 100 damage and ten Boomseeds defeat a Phantom King.
- Defeating a Phantom king will reward 200 Courage Points to all Jammers in the area.
- They don't have any dark electric powers like the normal Phantoms except as a shield. This is unusual since a Phantom's bolts are its main weapon.
- A Phantom King is shown attacking the alphas in Return of the Alphas.
- Despite a Phantom King only having two visible arms, three are shown in The Phantom Portal as it is attempting to cross over into Jamaa.
- Despite the Phantom Kings being genderless, Cosmo and Greely have referred to two of them with male pronouns.
- They seem very heavy as they get dizzy when they body-slam themselves to the ground as an attack.
- They are described to be smaller than the Phantom Queen in the Call of the Alphas.