One of the most important mechanics in Animal Jam is the name of the animals. When the player first buys an animal, the first thing the player does is choose the animal's name. This same rule also applies to when the player first makes an Animal Jam account. The player chooses a first name, then a space, followed by two names put together. At the bottom of the animal, there is a name tag. Members can add a special Badges to their nametag and also change its color.
|Click "Show" to see the available names...|
- King of the Jungle
- Arctic Wolf
- Snow Leopard
- Spring Bunny
- Polar Bear
- During early Beta Testing, the Jammer's nametag was light brown.
- An update on February 18, 2016 changed the nametags for members to make them brighter and have a stronger gradient on them.
- The update also changed the click detection so that nametags are easier to click in a crowd, and the update made it so that non-members' nametags become semi-transparent if they overlap any other nametags.
- An option was introduced in 2015 that allows Jammers to choose whether they want nametags to display usernames (default) or the previous animal names.
- This option originally changed the nametags instantly for non-members, but members would not see the change until they changed rooms. However, the instant change for non-members was removed after the February 18, 2016 update.
- Names cannot be changed after the animal purchase has been completed.
- When searching for a Jammer, their username must be entered instead of their animal's name. This is because many Jammers will have the same name.
- There are no first names available that start with the letters U, X, or Z.
- There are no "second" names available that start with the letters N, U, X, or Y.
- There are no third names available that start with the letters Q, U, X, Y, or Z.
- Every third name is lowercase.
- It is possible to have the name "Major Majormajor" since Jammers are able to select "Major" for your first, second and third name. There is also a similar name, having the second and third name as "Spirit". Jammers can also have their second and third name as "Brave", and having their first and second name as "Happy".
- Non-members have a paw badge that is only seen on their name by them and by their buddies.
- There is a switch on the side of the name creator that creates a random name.
- In the early beta days, Rosey was available instead of Rosy. However, this was changed soon after.
- Around 2012, Jammers could select the second name "Darling" but this was later removed around 2014.
- There is a glitch where a Jammer's nametag will be missing its badge when they first login. This can happen to the player or other Jammers around the player, but it is typically only seen by the player. It is often fixed by traveling to a different area.
- There is a glitch where when a Member goes to Adventure Base Camp, turns their adventure level off, and changes their nametag color, the level icon on their nametag will remain the old color, while their name will turn into the new color.
- There is also a glitch where when a Member logs on, the badge will be a paw like they were when they first got a membership. The only way to fix this is to log off and log back on(several times if needed).
- AJHQ will change a Jammer's username to "Jammer#####", where each "#" is a random number or letter, if they decide that the username violates one of their Rules. However, AJHQ will not explain specifically which rule was violated when they notify about the username change.
- On September 29th, 2016, several new parts for names were added.
- At an unknown time, the second name "Gross" was removed from the available Animal Names.