Jamaa is the main playable area of the Animal Jam world. It consists of eight land areas and four ocean areas. Jamaa Township appears to be the "capital" of Jamaa where most people trade, host den parties, advertise, and more.
- Jamaa Township is the town center of Jamaa and the primary destination for Jammers entering the lands. New Jammers arrive here after creating an account and completing the tutorial. The main clothing and furniture shops of Jamaa, Jam Mart Clothing, and Jam Mart Furniture, are located here along with other shops such as the Sol Arcade and the Diamond Shop. Some of the activities here include Ducky Dash, Jamaa Derby, relaxing in the Pillow Room, and dancing in Club Geoz. This land connects to Appondale, Sarepia Forest, Kimbara Outback, and the Lost Temple of Zios. At October 12, 2017, Club Geoz collapsed from the Lines of Power and was replaced with the Alpha Headquarters.
- Appondale is a savanna landscape located in the far west of Jamaa. It is home to the land pet shop, Claws 'N Paws, as well as the Conservation Museum. Some of the activities here include Fruit Slinger, Disc Toss, Pest Control, and playing in the giant mud pit. This land only connects to Jamaa Township.
- Sarepia Forest is densely forested landscape located in the north of Jamaa. This area features many shops such as Sarepia Theater, Treetop Gardens, the Flag Shop, and the Topiary Shop. Some of the activities here include Pill Bugs, Wind Rider, Disc Toss, Hedge Hog, Super Sort, Swoopy Eagle, playing on the slide, and dancing around the fire pit. This land connects to Jamaa Township, Mt. Shiveer, Coral Canyons, and the Lost Temple of Zios.
- Mt. Shiveer is a mountainous frozen tundra landscape located in the far northwest of Jamaa. The only shop here is in the Hot Cocoa Hut. Some of the activities here include Gem Breaker, hopping on the frozen pond, relaxing in the hot springs, and playing on the ice slide. This land connects to Sarepia Forest and Crystal Sands.
- Coral Canyons is a desert canyon landscape located in the far northeast of Jamaa. The shops available here include the Den Shop, Royal Ridge, and Epic Wonders. Some of the activities here include Sky High, Swoopy Eagle, Sssssnake, drawing in the Art Studio, and hopping on the bridge. This land connects to Sarepia Forest and Crystal Sands.
- Lost Temple of Zios is a tropical jungle landscape located near the center of Jamaa. The shops here are found in the Chamber of Knowledge. There is a secret room located in the Chamber of Knowledge that has not been released called the Basement of Secrets. Some of the activities here include Falling Phantoms, Swoopy Eagle, Temple of Trivia, exploring Brady's Lab, and resting around the recently restored Zios statue. Underneath the statue, there is a staircase leading to the Forgotten Archive. This land connects to Jamaa Township, Sarepia Forest, Crystal Sands, and the Adventure Base Camp.
- Crystal Sands is a tropical beach landscape located in the southeast of Jamaa. It is the only land that does not include a shop. Some of the activities here include Ducky Dash, Overflow, the Pet Wash, relaxing at Captain Melville's Juice Hut, swimming in the water, and playing on the water slides. This land connects to Bahari Bay, Crystal Reef, Mt. Shiveer, the Lost Temple of Zios, Coral Canyons via the Canyons Pathway, and Kani Cove via Tierney's Aquarium.
- Kimbara Outback is a desert landscape located in the southwest of Jamaa. It has Gabby's Animal Hospital and Outback Imports as shops. Some of the activities here include Spot On! and The Great Nature Project. This land only connects to Jamaa Township.
- Bahari Bay is the Jamaa Township of the oceans. It features the only underwater clothing shop, Bahari Bargains, and it is the primary destination for Jammers entering the oceans. Some of the activities here include Best Dressed and Splash and Dash. This area connects to Crystal Sands, Crystal Reef, Deep Blue and the Ocean Adventure Base Camp.
- Crystal Reef is an area filled with a variety of coral and sea creatures. Located along the west side of the oceans, it is the smallest underwater area. Flippers N' Fins, the underwater pet shop, is located here. Some of the activities here include Eat 'Em Up. This area connects to Crystal Sands, Bahari Bay, and Deep Blue.
- Kani Cove is an underwater cavern area located along the east side of the oceans. It features a sunken shipwreck that houses the Sunken Treasures underwater furniture shop. Some of the activities here include playing around the tube worm field. This area connects to Deep Blue and Crystal Sands via Tierney's Aquarium.
- Deep Blue is an underwater trench area located at the bottom of the oceans. It features the Marine Marvels underwater furniture shop, and it also has the underwater version of the Den Shop. Some of the activities here include Phantom's Treasure. This area connects to Crystal Reef, Bahari Bay, and Kani Cove.
The following is a quote from the "The Story" section of the animal lore page on the original Animal Jam website.
|“|| And so it was that the Sky Father was named Zios. He created many stars and planets, and set them in motion. But after eons of creation, he became lonely. So he created the Sky Mother, a grey heron, and named her Mira.|
Mira was beautiful and kind and they were very happy together. She loved Zios deeply and often told him how talented he was, encouraging him to create. Together, Zios and Mira created their masterpiece: a lush land filled with oceans, mountains, meadows, and all kinds of plants and animals. They named this special world Jamaa, and for hundreds of years, the world and its animals were at peace.
But today, all is not well in Jamaa. A mysterious dark force has crept into the land, stealing away animals and ruining the beauty of Jamaa.
|“|| Jamaa was once home to hundreds of animal species of all shapes and sizes. These animals spent their days playing games, going to parties, building homes, and living together as friends.|
Mira and Zios, the guardian spirits of Jamaa, gifted each animal species with a Heartstone, a special jewel that contained the essence of that species and held the secrets of its magic.
For many generations, all the Heartstones were kept together in a vault beneath the Lost Temple of Zios. Every animal could visit them and see the unique gifts that each species brought to Jamaa.
|~ Episode 1 - The Dawn Of The Alphas|
|“|| But as time passed, things changed, Animals began to fear and mistrust other species. Some animals stopped living together as a united community. Soon, all the feelings of friendship in Jamaa were gone, and the animals built new villages for their kind only. Koalas lived and talked only with other koalas. So did rhinos. And crocodiles.|
Before long, all the animals in Jamaa stopped working together to make Jamaa a happy and vibrant place. Worst of all, many animal species took their Heartstones from the Lost Temple of Zios and hid their Heartstones in their new villages.
It was during this time of division that the dark Phantoms first appeared.
|~ Episode 2 - Unrest in Jamaa|
|“|| The phantoms came through dark portals and they quickly spread through the uninhabited regions of Jamaa. Wherever the Phantoms went, they left a trail of spoiling destruction. Rivers were polluted, trees became bare, and the air was thick with noxious fumes. The Phantoms consumed everything in the environment and gave nothing back. They leveled entire villages the animals had built and left the entire civilization in pieces.|
Because animals were spread out in isolated villages, the Phantoms easily conquered these villages one by one. The animals soon discovered that if the Phantoms reached a Heartstone, they could imprison the animals of that species inside it! Each time the Phantoms captured a Heartstone, an entire species disappeared from Jamaa.
Mira and Zios watched in horror as the Phantoms spread throughout Jamaa. As guardian spirits, it hurt them to see the land they loved become corrupted, and they knew they could bring Jamaa back to life if the Phantoms were repelled. In time, they could make the skies and waters clear again, and if they could recover the lost Heartstones, thousands of animals could return to Jamaa. As time drew on, however, the Phantoms threat grew only more fearsome and unstoppable.
|~ Episode 3 - Rise of the Phantoms|
|“|| Remembering how much they had accomplished when they lived and worked together, the remaining six species gathered their Heartstones, left their villages, and returned to the Lost Temple of Zios. As the tigers, monkeys, koalas, pandas, rabbits, and wolves of Jamaa gathered together for one last stand against the Phantoms, Mira and Zios saw that it would not be enough.|
In desperation, the guardian spirits of Jamaa searched other lands for six leaders who could wield the power of their entire species. They even looked to our world, and it was here that they found six extraordinary animals and brought them to Jamaa: Sir Gilbert the regal tiger, Cosmo the knowledgeable koala, Graham the inventive monkey, Greely the mysterious wolf, Liza the curious panda, and Peck the creative rabbit. These were six remarkable animals with different personalities, but they were united in their strength of characters and their respect for the natural world.
Mira and Zios chose well, and these very different animals soon formed a family. To help in battle against the Phantoms, Mira and Zios gave the new leaders Alpha Stones, six special jewels that focused the strength and abilities of their entire species. With these stones, the six chosen animals became Alphas, the heroes chosen to save Jamaa in its darkest hour!
The Alphas set about making a plan that utilized each of their unique abilities to defeat the Phantoms. Once the plan was finalized, they joined the rest of the animals who had gathered together to face the flood of Phantoms before them. When the animals saw the magnificent Alphas, they felt their own bravery return. The Alphas felt the strength of the Alpha Stones flowing through them, and with many roars, howls, and cheers, they all stormed into battle.
|~ Episode 4 - Taking a Stand|
|“|| The battle for Jamaa was epic, with the animals and Alphas fighting not just for themselves, but also for the beautiful land that Jamaa once was. Animals that were once scared of the Phantoms found new courage, and animals that had shunned and despised others worked side by side with different species.|
As the animals marched forward, the Phantoms escaped by fleeing into their dark portals. But just as the last of the Phantoms were retreating, they overtook Zios and vanished with him into a portal. Mira quickly dove into a dark portal, following Zios and the Phantoms, disappearing as the portal closed.
The sudden absence of Zios and Mira was a tragic blow to the animals, yet despite their sadness, they realized that for the first time many of them could remember, Jamaa was free of the Phantoms!
|~ Episode 5 - The Fight to Save Jamaa|
|“|| Jamaa had been saved, but the damage the Phantoms had caused was everywhere. Plants and trees were sick, clouds of poison smoke hung in the air, and the land itself was littered with burnt plastic refuse that seemed to follow the Phantoms wherever they went. The Alphas knew it would be the responsibility of every animal in Jamaa, including themselves, to return the land to its former glory.|
While the animals worked hard to rebuild, cleansing power from the Alpha Stones flowed through the Alphas and into the land. Soon, the rivers were running clear, the trees regained their leaves, and the air was fresh and crisp. The pristine beauty of Jamaa had spread from the top of Mt Shiveer to the bottom of Deep Blue.
During this time, Liza stayed in Jamaa Township to protect the village and help new animals that came to Jamaa, while the other Alphas separated to explore lost lands and track the Phantoms to their source. They were able to restore many of the lands that had been taken over by the Phantoms, and many Heartstones were returned. Animals trapped inside the Heartstones were freed to return to their homes, and they were welcomed by all their animal friends. In a short time, the world of Jamaa began to resemble the beautiful world it once was.
|~ Episode 6 - Rebuilding Their Home|
|“|| Millions of animals now live in peace and happiness in Jamaa. The Alphas continue to explore new lands, and whenever they are able to drive the Phantoms out of an area or reclaim a Heartstone, the animals of Jamaa celebrate that they have new lands to play in and new animal friends to play with!|
Many years have passed since all of Jamaa was nearly lost, but now some of the Phantoms have returned, and they are once again trying to ruin the peace and joy of Jamaa.
|~ Episode 7 - A lasting Peace?|
- In Swahili, Jamaa means family.
|Click Expand to view|