Dens are the homes for animal avatars in Animal Jam. They can be decorated with many den items and Jammers can visit other players' dens as well. All Jammers have at least one den, but most dens are only available to players with a Membership.
Jammers can access their own den by clicking the "Den" button that looks like a small hut in the bottom right corner of the screen. This button is also included at the top left of the World Map screen.
Jammers can access other players' dens by clicking the "Visit Den" button on their Player Cards. Alternatively, Jammers can travel to Epic Dens by clicking on them in the World Map list. It is also possible to travel to connected dens by stepping into Den Portals.
Land dens are can be purchased in the Den Shop in Coral Canyons, while the underwater dens are available in Deep Blue. Jammers can also purchase a new den by simply clicking the "Switch Den" icon while editing their den, and then clicking one of the empty "Make A New Den" slots. Dens cost between 2,000-7,500 Gems or 5-7 Diamonds. All Jammers can have up to 32 dens, but only one of them can be active at a time.
There are thousands of different den items in the game that can be placed in dens as decorations. The maximum number of items that can be placed in one den is 500 for members and 100 for non-members. Likewise, the maximum number of items that can be owned is 1000 for members and 100 for non-members. Many den items have special animations that repeat in a loop. Some den items are interactive and perform some series of animations when clicked in just the right spots, but these changes can only be seen by the Jammer that is interacting with them. A very small number of den items will give the player a Holdable Icon to carry around for a short time if they click the item in the right spot. A few den items will actually make noise if they are clicked, but this noise can only be heard by the Jammer that is interacting with the item.
Some dens have special features such as slides, bouncy floors, liquid to swim in, and areas that will cause an avatar tint. Land animals can use slides to travel in one direction from one area of the den to another, but flying animals cannot use these. Bouncy floors work like the floors of the Bounce House Party where the animals will automatically hop very high into the air when standing on them. Liquids cause land animals to appear partially submerged and they cause some pets to tread water. Avatar tints are a color applied to the animals in an area depending on how long they remain there.
All seasonal dens are members-only.
|Water Park||(Summer Only)||4,000|
|Mushroom Hut||(Summer Only)||5,000|
|Snow Fort||(Winter Only)||5,000|
|Gallery of regular dens|
These dens are all members-only and sold at the Diamond Shop.
|Sir Gilbert's Palace||7|
|Epic Haunted Manor||Night of the Phantoms Only||5|
|Gingerbread House||Jamaalidays (Discontinued)||5|
|Winter Palace||Winter only||7|
|Friendship Cottage||Friendship Festival Only||7|
|Jamaaliday House||Jamaalidays Only||5|
|Spring Cottage||Spring Only||7|
|Lucky Castle||Lucky Day Only||5|
|Haunted House||Night of the Phantoms (Discontinued)||5|
|Gallery of Diamond Shop dens|
|Sunken Ship Den||No||2,500|
|Lost Ruins Den||Yes||3,500|
- Before August 2011, dens could not be customized with different music and all dens had the same music.
- Up until August 2011, all den items had only one color, but new color variants were introduced after this. However, most den items released before this time still have only one color variety.
- At a price of 7,500 Gems, the Fantasy Castle is the most expensive den that can be purchased with Gems.
- Previously, when a King of the Jungle Membership Card was redeemed, Jammers could choose to receive a free Castle Den or a National Geographic Kids Magazine Subscription.
- Many Parties are based on dens and vice versa. For example, the Castle Den is used as the layout for the Trading Party with a few changes such as added snow, fire pits, and a frozen moat in place of the regular grass.
- While in "Preview Mode", Jammers can't access the action buttons, use chat, or see other players, but it is possible to type action codes without the chat bar on the bottom of the screen, causing the animal of that player to perform the action.
- Peck's Den and the Sky Kingdom are some of the largest dens sold.
- The only den available for Jammers during the Beta Testing was larger than most dens currently in the game, with 3 floors but very little space outside the house itself. This den was removed after the Beta Testing was concluded and is now visible as the setting of the Beta Party, with a few minor changes to it.
- There are miniature versions of full size dens available for pets, such as the Pet Princess Castle, the Pet Fantasy Castle, the Pet Castle, and the Pet Haunted House.
- When using the Diamonds to Gems exchange, most dens purchased with Diamonds cost more than dens purchased with Gems, excluding the Fantasy Castle den.
- Diamond dens can be obtained outside of the Diamond Shop, but they still must be bought with Diamonds.
- Unlike animals and pets, when a den is purchased with Diamonds, the player cannot purchase additional copies of that den for Gems; instead, the player must pay the same price in Diamonds for each copy of the den.
- The Small House and Sunken Ship dens are the only Non-Member dens.
- The only den to change from a Gems price to a Diamonds price was the Haunted House. Initially it cost 6,500 Gems, but the price later changed to 5 Diamonds.
- As the original Small House den cannot be deleted, it is impossible for a Jammer to have no den.
- There is a glitch where a den's wallpaper will change into the shape of the wallpaper in another den. This often occurs with the Small House den when the player returns to their own den while already visiting another Jammer's den (which is a den other than the Small House den). It can also occur when switching dens and changing their wallpapers repeatedly.
- There is a glitch where the AJ Melody music icon can appear in a den while it is being edited.