The Adventures are a very large update that bring the Phantoms back as antagonists in a series of games. You may play to earn Gems, level up, get amazing prizes (such as betas, although it will also lower the rareness of some items) or simply have fun. To participate, you need to go to the Adventure Base Camp entrance located in Temple of Zios, or you can access it at the very top of the party list, or by clicking on the world map; at the bottom left corner. There are currently twelve adventures, including the Training Grounds. All adventures allow multiplayer action, except the Training Grounds, which is a single-player only adventure,and in the end gives you 250 gems.
List of Adventures
Currently, there are twelve different adventures:
- Training Grounds
- Return Of The Phantoms
- The Phantom Portal
- Meet Cosmo
- The Hive
- The Great Escape
- Greely's Inferno
- The Search For Greely
- The Forgotten Desert
- Bubble Trouble
- In Too Deep
- Turning The Tide
- (seasonal) Bitter Sweets
- (seasonal) Twists And Turns
- (seasonal) Jamaaliday Rescue
- (seasonal) Special Delivery
Basic Gameplay Instructions
An Alpha, usually Liza, Cosmo or Greely (who is in the members only adventures) will prepare you at the start of each adventure. Phantoms will have a purple, smokey circle or ring around them. This shows Jammers how far the phantoms can see. If you go in the Phantom's circle, you're in it's sight and will start chasing you until you escape. To trap Phantoms, you can lure them into special plants called Chomper Plants which where made by Cosmo the Koala Alpha by mixing a potion consisting of many vegetables and fruits. If the Phantom gets too close, the Chomper plant closes and the Phantom is trapped and you earn 25 Gems. If you are standing in tall grass, Phantoms can't see you so you can hide and go around them without being caught! There will be stampedes and groups of Phantoms everywhere, trying to chase you, so you will need to do a lot of running and eventually lure all of them to a single plant. Remember, one plant can only trap one phantom. In the second adventure and more, you need to water and replenish the diseased chomper plants before defeating the Phantoms.
Some Phantoms, typically in the lower level and easier modes, will stop chasing you if you've run away far enough. However, this is not always the case, depending on the place. As stated before, your best chance of escaping from them is to lure them to a chomper plant or flee to tall grass. If a Phantom touches your animal, it inflicts damage and takes away 1 heart. Losing all of your hearts will cause your animal to fall asleep. If this happens, don't worry. You don't lose any experience, Gems, or progress. You can wake up and try again. Your animal will wake up at the last visited Revive Point. As you gain experience, you will get more hearts. There will be some adventures where you will have to try over and over again, but don't let the difficulty stop you. Although the ocean adventures are more difficult and take longer to do, keep going! Don't be discouraged, and good luck!
In Adventures, you will team up with your friends and defeat Phantoms. As more adventures are released, Jammers will join the Alphas as they protect Jamaa from the wicked Phantoms. There's Non Player, or AJHQ animals, which can say some useful info and give you items to help on your adventure. Secret entrances can even be discovered by specific animals for special secrets, prizes, and surprises.
When you go to the Adventure Base Camp, you will notice some portals. One is for the Training Grounds to prepare you, the other ones at the top are for the Adventures, but as of January 23, the Base camp is an island with one Portal with all the adventures. Now the base camp is back to normal with all of the portals and such back although there is a new area only accessible by Eagles which can only be bought in the Diamond Shop. As of June 2014, a new base camp was added - the Ocean Base Camp.
Inside every adventure, there is a different set up, and each new adventure is longer and more difficult. On each adventure there is a Normal Mode and Hard Mode, except for the Eagle only adventure. Normal Mode is released first and Hard Mode is usually released with the following update. Upon completing both modes, you get rewarded with the chance to pick a gift which could be Gems or an item usually related to the adventure.
Training GroundsYou will start in the Training Grounds, just to prepare for the actual Adventure. Liza will teach you techniques and strategies to defeat Phantoms. You have to get close to a phantom, trap four in the chomper plants, and sneak past them in the tall grass. After you finish the Training Grounds, you earn a little prize from Liza for doing so well.
The order of the adventure releases are as follows: The Training Grounds, The Return of the Phantoms (Easy), The Phantom Portal (Easy), The Return of the Phantoms (Hard), The Phantom Portal (Hard), Meet Cosmo (Easy), Meet Cosmo (Hard), The Hive (Easy), The Hive (Hard), The Great Escape (Easy), The Great Escape (Hard), Greely's Inferno (Easy), Greely's Inferno (Hard), The Forgotten Desert, Bubble Trouble (Easy), Bubble Trouble (Hard), In Too Deep (Easy), In Too Deep (Hard), Turning The Tide (Easy), Turning The Tide (Hard). The Adventure Shop came out after Meet Cosmo (Easy) and before Meet Cosmo (Hard).
To level up, Players must get plenty of Courage Points depending on each level. You will need more Courage Points when your on a higher level and less when your on a lower level. Leveling up will give you a better chance at gaining better prizes and getting more Health Hearts. Every 8th level you pass grants you another heart. For example, at level 8 you will have 4 Health Hearts, at level 16 you will have 5 Health Hearts, and so on, so forth.
Courage Points (commonly called and nicknamed CP) are the numbers used to level up. They can be gained by defeating Phantoms, restoring plants, obtaining Gems, opening treasure chests and opening locked areas.
Health is represented with hearts, which shows how many lives you have left. When your health hearts runs out, you will fall into a deep sleep. They are normally destroyed by Phantoms but will return fully when the player wakes up again.
In most Adventures, there will be one or more special passages that may only be opened by a specific animal.These animal gates have treasure chests inside that contain a clothing item or occasionally a rare. The gates include:
- Return of the Phantoms (both modes) - Arctic Wolf
- The Phantom Portal (Normal) - Fox
- The Phantom Portal (Hard) - Lion and Fox
- Meet Cosmo (Normal) - Tiger
- Meet Cosmo (Hard) - Koala, Raccoon and Tiger
- The Hive (Both modes) - Elephant
- The Hive (Hard) - Horse, Elephant
- The Great Escape (Normal) - Monkey
- The Great Escape (Hard) - Kangaroo, Monkey
- Greely's Inferno (Normal) - Wolf
- Greely's Inferno (Hard) - Arctic Wolf
- The Search for Greely - Phantom (via disguise)
- The Search for Greely (Hard) - Phantom (via disguise), Wolf, Panda,
- The Forgotten Desert - No gates
- Bubble Trouble (Normal) - Dolphin
- Bubble Trouble (Hard)- Dolphin and Sea Turtle
- In Too Deep (Normal) - Shark
- In Too Deep (Hard) - Octopus, Dolphin, and Sea Turtle
- Turning The Tide (Normal) - Penguin
- Turning The Tide (Hard) - Otter
- In The Phantom Portal adventure, if you are using a weapon, like a sword or glove, you do more damage to the Phantom Webs or pods, breaking it faster. When clicking it, it will appear in front of the web/pod. Items like bows and arrows, slingshots, nunchucks, and crossbows do not work. The spartan armor, though it has a sword attached to it, does not work either.
- You can get rares and betas in the hard mode of the Adventures.
- Slingshots can be obtained in the Hard mode of The Phantom Portal adventure.
- In the Meet Cosmo adventure, after you get the timber and rope, the Koalas will ask you to find a rose and moth for Gems. Franklin the Koala will give you Gems and CP if you plug all the phantom pipes.
- The Meet Cosmo Adventure is the first adventure to feature the Phantom Sprouter; pipes that appear planted in the ground that spit out Phantoms.
- PhantomSprouters spit Phantoms that spot you without walking into their vision bubble.
- In the 3rd Anniversary of Animal Jam, The Phantom Portal become an adventure for both members and non-members.
- Modes have currently been added to the Adventures such as Hard and Easy. For Hard-modes specific to some adventures, you can win "beta" clothing items instead of unique den items (e.g. worn blankets, pirate swords, etc.)
- The featured Alphas in the current adventures are: Liza, Cosmo, Greely, and Graham.
- The only animals that have 2 passageways are: Elephant (Meet Cosmo and The Hive), Arctic Wolf (Return of the Phantoms and Greely's Inferno.), and Wolf. (Greely's Inferno and The Search for Greely)
- There is currently a glitch where you can be an eagle in adventure if you host an adventure and buy an eagle from the Diamond shop.
- The Search for Greely is the only adventure where all animals can use the Phantom only passage.
- The Forgotten Desert is the only adventure so far where there is no Hard mode besides the seasonal ones.
- There is no Bunny, Seal, Deer, Giraffe, Rhinoceros, Crocodile, Hyena, Cheetah, or Snow Leopard passages in the current adventures.
- On September 18, there was a temporary glitch where an adventure called TBA was released. It gave out rares and BETA items, but it was closed down later in the day; this may have been an earlier version of Bitter Sweets.
- When you release trapped bunnies or monkeys, there are many theories on which order to release them in.
- Sometimes when you exit , mostly from land adventures, the adventure bar will still be visible with the "You did it! Adventure COMPLETE!" message at the top of the screen.